Saturday, September 6, 2008

I live on a boat



A lot of my students keep asking me questions about what it's like to live on a boat. Here are a few musings and pictures:
We moved aboard the end of June 2007, and people continue to ask us, “So, are you still living on that boat?” Yep. And we still have our plan of sailing around the world in 2013. I like living on a boat, in fact, I like it a lot. I love being exposed to fresh air and sunshine everyday, every time you step outside. Living on land, there were days, especially on the weekends, when I wouldn’t leave the house. Now not leaving isn’t an option. Need to use the restroom? Walk up to the main one. Need to do the laundry? I have to go outside the boat at least three times. Forgot something in the storage unit? Up to the main dock I go.

Things that are strange about living on a boat? I don’t have a couch. Also, the refrigerator is still hard to see into, access, and use. It’s just a square box that I have to reach down into to get things out of. The mast is still off, so we can’t sail right now, and the boat looks a bit dowdy on the outside with all of the rigging and what not spread about.

We get to see sea lions all the time; there’s one that comes around so often that we’ve named him “Tubby.” It’s also fun to watch the tides come in and out. You can see in these pictures what it’s like to live on a floating dock and how different the water level is with high tide and low tide.

That’s all for now, but feel free to ask any questions you’d like!

4 comments:

Gabe said...

thats crazy

Kaeoss said...

I wish I live on a boat :|

Then again, I already have problems living in my own room. Too many cramps in the morning :P

Ms. Charlotte said...

You get used to pretty quickly. I feel like I go home to my own fort everynight!

Taylor said...

Awesooooome!